A quick rundown of reasons the New Testament church is admonished to participate in the wonderful Sabbath blessings. Please see the content at the bottom of this article, listing Scriptures that show Sabbath Keeping is about Blessings and Rewards. I hope you don’t miss out on these.
True Freedom is called His law, only transgression is called bondage. Thank God it’s all grace, to keep it, to repent from sin, and to get back on track, is proof of His grace working through us. Christ always taught to follow his example to fulfill the law as He did so perfectly.
Every believer should know this topic inside and out. The Sabbath aren’t just one of those “least of the commandments” Christ told us to also keep. The Sabbath is part of the big 10!
WHY DID THE APOSTLES AND THE EARLY CHURCH OBSERVE THE SABBATH?
(THE APOSTLES KEPT SATURDAY AS THE SABBATH AND SUNDAY AS THE LORD’S DAY – CAN WE DO ANY LESS?)
1. After working the first six days of the week in creating this earth,
the great God rested on the seventh day. (Genesis 2:1
2. This stamped that day as God’s rest day, or Sabbath day, as Sabbath
day means rest day. To illustrate: When a person is born on a
certain day, that day thus becomes his birthday. So when God rested
upon the seventh day, that day became His rest, or Sabbath Day.
3. Therefore the seventh day must always be God’s Sabbath day. Can you
change your birthday from the day on which you were born to one on
which you were not born? No. Neither can you change God’s rest day
to a day on which He did not rest. Hence the seventh day is still
God’s Sabbath day.
4. The Creator blessed the seventh day. (Genesis 2:3
5. He sanctified the seventh day. (Exodus 20:11
6. He made it the Sabbath day in the Garden of Eden. (Genesis 2:1-3
Be sure to get the book:
Sabbath in the Orthodox Church – By Rev. Dr. Stephen M.K. Brunswick ThD, PhD
IT’S BACK IN PRINT! $18 per copy, buy now
It is also available in E-book format at this link: The Holy Orthodox Sabbath Book for $4.99
Demonstrating the continuity of the Christian 7th Day Sabbath, as kept by the Faithful in the Orthodox Church (East and West)
40+ Early Church Fathers are quoted herein as advocating the Saturday Sabbath festivals
Saturday Traditions that substantiate the facts that the Christian Nations of God know His day so that a remnant can keep His day.
***END OF ADVERTISEMENT***
7. It was made before the fall; hence it is not a type; for types were
not introduced till after the fall.
8. Jesus says it was made for man (Mark 2:27)
that is, for man’s benefit, not a burden.
9. It is a memorial of creation. (Exodus 20:11)
Every time we rest upon the seventh day, as God did at creation,
we commemorate that grand event.
10. It was given to Adam, the head of the human race. (Mark 2:27)
11. Hence through him, as our representative, to all nations. (Acts
12. It is’ not a Jewish institution, for it was made 2,300 years before
ever there was a Jew.
13. The Bible never calls it the Jewish Sabbath, but always “the Sabbath
of the Lord thy God.” Men should be cautious how they stigmatize
God’s holy rest day.
14. Evident reference is made to the Sabbath and the seven-day week all,
through the patriarchal age. (Genesis 2:l-3; 8:10,12; 29:27,28.etc.)
15. It was a part of God’s law before Sinai. (Exodus 16:4)
16. Then God placed it in the heart of His moral law. (Exodus 20:1-17)
Why did He place it there if it was not like the other nine precepts,
which all admit to be immutable?
17. The seventh-day Sabbath was commanded by the voice of the living
God. (Deuteronomy 4:12
18. Then He wrote the commandment with His own finger. (Exodus 31:18
19. He engraved it in the enduring stone, indicating it’s imperishable
nature. (Deuteronomy 5:22
20. It was sacredly preserved in the ark in the holy of holies.
21. God forbade work upon the Sabbath, even in the most hurrying times.
22. God destroyed the Israelites in the wilderness because they profaned
the Sabbath. (Ezekiel 20:12)
23. It is the sign of the true God, by which we are to know Him from
false gods. (Ezekiel 20:20)
24. God promised that Jerusalem should stand forever if the Jews would
keep the Sabbath (Jeremiah 17:24)
25. He sent them into the Babylonish captivity for breaking it.
26. He destroyed Jerusalem for its violation. (Jeremiah 17:27)
27. God has pronounced a special blessing on all the Gentiles who will
keep it. (Isaiah 56:6)
28. This is in the prophecy, which refers wholly to the Christian
dispensation. (See Isaiah 56.)
29. God has promised to bless all who keep the Sabbath. (Isaiah 56:2)
30. The Lord requires us to call it “honorable”. (Isaiah 58:13
31. After the holy Sabbath has been trodden down “many generations,” it
is to be restored in the last days. (Isaiah 58:12
32. All the holy prophets kept the seventh day.
33. When the Son of God came, He kept the seventh day all His life.
Father’s example at creation. Shall we not be safe in following the
example of both the Father and the Son?
Anyone who stops keeping the commandments will lose their REWARDS and some lose their safety:
70% of His commandments are national laws that weren’t fulfilled even under the peak of Kingdom providence of King David. This will only be one day fulfilled in the Messianic ushering in of His Kingdom in the latter day end times. This is coming in the future (or soon), as per these Scriptures.
Even the necessities of life aren’t guaranteed to be added unto us if we don’t seek first His kingdom above all other things. As it says in Mat 6:33 “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”
Matt 5:19 reads “they that teach the least of these commandments and do keep them shall be called GREAT in the Kingdom of Heaven, and they that teach men to break them and do break them shall be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven.”
So we see there are rewards for keeping and teaching even “the least of His commandments”. Many verses talk about varying levels of rewards, even up to being granted to sit on His throne:
Rev 3:21 “To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in His throne.”
Rev. 22:12 “And behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.”
Rev. 22:14 “Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.”
Hbr 3:1 “Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;”
Phl 3:14 “I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.”
I John 3:22 “And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.”
Isa 58:13-14 “If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of Yahweh, honorable; and shalt honor him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in Yahweh; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of Yahweh hath spoken it.”
We know that Christ IS THE WORD John 1:14 Which includes all of the commandments we’re to OBEY from Exodus 20 through Revelation. Christ said John 14:15 “If you LOVE ((ME/ALL THE WORD)) – Keep My Commandments”
In order to “do well in the earth” and not “sinning unto death” Paul had admonished the Gentile Christians that so they can “do well” that they must follow the levitical blood laws, dietary laws, and the getting rid of idols, and sexual purity:
Act 15:29 “That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.”
(Note that you do well in the earth, as these Levitical laws aren’t about Salvation, but just prosperity on earth, “that ye do well”.)
Otherwise They Don’t Have Love, Nor Know Love:
Most Christians say we only have to Love. This is true, however, Christ said the definition of love is obedience to the commandments.
John 14:21 “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.”
1John 5:3 “For this is the love of THE LORD, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.”
It is also the way we know we love eachother,
1John 5:2 “By this we know that we love the children of THE LORD, when we love THE LORD, and keep his commandments.”
More Blessings For Keeping The Commandments
Deu 30:16 “In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.”
Living, Multiplying, owning and posessing land has to do with obedience to His commandments. It is for our bare survival upon the land. (The opposite of this is known as the 10 planks of the communist manifesto. An engineered system to take away our sovereign liberties.)
God Isn’t Worried, So You Shouldn’t Be Worried About Converting Everyone
He is Calling us to His Church Government. His Church, “the Ekklesia” will be greater and more powerful than it ever was. His city set on a hill. He’s not calling us to adulterate the church through the pollutions of Babylon.
Do not worry about calling everyone, not all are called. Just know the ones The Lord(YAHWEH) has sent you may be called and you should approach them as a Royal Priest who is in need of nothing,
1Pe 2:9 “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light:”
Jhn 10:29 “My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.”
God is not calling everyone, only unto you it is given, He said.